Frequently Asked Questions


Yes, if you separated due to medical reasons, you are able to apply even if you do not have the 10 years aggregate service. You will need to show proof of separation (DD FM 214) and your documentation should show medically separated.

For retirees/separated, the QLEO date is 10 years after graduation from your initial law enforcement academy.

Yes, under 926B if they are active in the CG Reserves and meet all the requirements. And under 926C if they retire/separate with more than 10 yrs TAFMS and meet all the requirements.

Misdemeanors are not an issue addressed in DoD guidance as it pertains to LEOSA. All members (AD, Guard/Reserve, Retired or Separated) wanting cards need to meet their specific requirements noted in the Coast Guard Appendix in order to be issued cards.

No, the Coast Guard PM will ask you to provide proof you are certified at your new LE station. He will then mail your unexpired credential back to you.